2021 Prairie Fire Shootout
MD: Doug Straus
Location: McVille, North Dakota
Dates: August 20-22, 2021
We welcome you to the 2021 Prairie Fire Shootout! This is a new location/event coming to the NRL community August 20-22, 2021. The range overlooks the beautiful Sheyenne River Valley, and you’ll engage Targets spread from 200 to over 1200 yards. This is two-days of field shooting where you’ll engage some targets from prone, some from equipment, and other items you might encounter on a farm/ranch. Those that have shot 1-day matches here have left with scenic memories, sometimes challenging winds, but better competitors.
Match round count will be < 220 rds.
Competitors could expect 10 stages on Saturday, an 10 stages on Sunday.
Lunch will be provided both days, followed by an Awards Banquet on Sunday.
There will be a Cash Payout!
Cash Payout: $500 for 1st, $400 for 2nd, $300 for 3rd, $200 for 4th, $100 for fifth.
Trophies: 1st thru 3rd overall, top Mil/LE, top Lady, top youth
Non-Shooter attendees can purchase meal tickets here: https://nationalrifleleague.org/product/non-shooter-meal-prairie-fire-shootout/
Range Officers who want to shoot the course: https://nationalrifleleague.org/product/r-o-match-fee-prairie-fire-shootout/
If you’re traveling and want to make the Prairie Fire Shootout one of your stops along the way, then also consider…
- PRAIRIE DOG HUNTING: Western SD and ND have some phenomenal PD hunting and much of it is on public land or landowners will direct you where to go. (More info to follow)
- ENJOY THE MEDORA MUSICAL: I’ve never heard a negative review from those that have attended! 4.8 stars with over 1000 reviews on Google https://medora.com/do/entertainment/medora-musical/
- WALLEYE FISHING: Devils Lake, ND is about 1/2 hour from the ND Match location and has some of the best walleye fishing in the nation. Just ask Jim See. There are multiple guides in the area with boats and some will put you up in a camp house! (I’ll be posting guide info soon.)
- COYOTE HUNTING: Hunting coyotes in the Dakotas is great! You can whack ’em on the wide-open prairies or in the badlands.
- VISIT THE BADLANDS AND/OR MOUNT RUSHMORE: If you just want to take the family and relax, take a drive west to the visit Deadwood, Mount Rushmore, the Badlands.
Range Address: PR5R+V6 McVille, North Dakota
Fri., Aug. 20th
- 12pm – 4pm – Registration, 100 yd zero, and DOPE-check on various targets out to distance
(GPS Location: to follow)
Sat., Aug. 21st
- 7am – 7:30am – Same-day registration (no sight-in available)
- 7:30am – Mandatory Match Briefing & Pledge of Allegiance
(GPS Location: 47.709750,-98.159500)
Sun., Aug. 22nd
- 7am Start Time
(GPS Location: 47.67245593092101, -98.12686725921544)
- Awards Banquet upon match completion
- Camping onsite available at no charge (no facilities)
- Camping < 10 miles away at McVille Dam with hookups and swimming. https://mcville.com/parks
- Average high/low temps in August: 82F/54F
These hotels are nearby and they’ve given us discounted rates on their rooms! We’re talking like $60-80 range for four (and some will allow more) in their rooms, cabins, etc.
Mention the rifle match when you call in to get your discount.
- McVille Lodge (701) 322-2020
- The Pekin Lodge (701) 296-4411
- Sunlac Inn – Lakota, ND (701) 247-2487
*All information provided as a service, we strongly advise that all potential competitors do their own travel planning and research to find what works best for them individually!